Thursday, January 17, 2013

My Sexy Kadavul

Posted by Unknown





Karan Thapar, the devil from Devil’s Advocate (CNN-IBN) once said in an interview that this person was a nightmare to interview. He said and I quote “In those days he was exceedingly shy; his long answer was ‘umm’ and his short answer was ‘um’. Most of his answers were ‘umm’.” He is a man of few words. To judge him based on that would be utterly foolish; for he is talent personified. Calling him a genius would be an understatement. I call him ‘sexy kadavul.’ The world calls him ‘Mozart of Madras.’ He calls himself AR Rahman.

I was recently watching his concert on TV and I realised that I was not alone, like always. My parents had long given up on refining my taste when it came to TV programs. I simply refused to watch Carnatic music concerts with my mother, football matches with my Brother, NDTV Profit with my Father or Sankara Channel with my Gran. I was more of a Star-World-Tom-and-Jerry-MTV person. So you can imagine my surprise when I found my entire family in the living room with me, listening to Rahman’s concert. I was faced with the hard fact that Rahman had united my highly dysfunctional family - it was equal parts amazing and creepy!

Rahman vastly influenced my childhood. I am told that I was three years old when I was first introduced to the music of Roja. Apparently I used to be a pain in the ass (you don’t say!) demanding to accompany my mother wherever she went. So my mother devised a ploy and played this cassette on the recorder. I sat there listening to it on repeat, while my mother made her secret trips to the market/grocery store and I didn’t even notice her absence. To this day, I keep thinking, proudly, that I belong to the generation that was alive when Rahman introduced himself to this world.

Right from writing an imaginary interview with Rahman for my English essay assignment to running to Music World every time his album released to cutting photos of him from every magazine and newspaper that was bought at home (much to my Father’s exasperation), he occupied a huge chunk of my childhood. It’s by far the most a celebrity has influenced me. Humility, simplicity and originality. That’s all it took for him to attract me. That’s all it took for him to be where he is now – on a plethora of success.

I have all his songs categorised as a separate genre in my iTunes. I can listen to his 4 hour concerts on re-runs. Rahman’s music is what is described as “kekka kekka dhaan pidikum” (repeated listening only stimulates liking). I am someone who has his lesser known tracks on repeat so that I will eventually start liking them. I cannot stand someone talking about him in terms of plagiarism or being repetitive – I jump to argue in his defence. I wait for his rare interviews to hear his beautiful mind (Check out this website BTW: http://whenrahmanspeaks.com/). China has declared that music has healing powers; for me, Rahman’s music heals everything. To summarise, Kollywood style, I walk Rahman, I talk Rahman, I eat Rahman. That’s how big a fan I am.


How big a fan are you?

0 comments: